The next chapter for World of Warcraft has been revealed at BlizzCon tonight: Battle for Azeroth!
The core setting for WoW 8.0 is finally the conflict between Horde and Alliance again. Be sure to check back later, as we update this article with all the fresh information as BlizzCon continues.
- Core story: Horde vs. Alliance
- new continent: Kul Tiras
- and Zandalar!
- new levelcap 120
- new dungeons and raids
- allied races
- players can plunder uncharted islands
- a new feature called “Warfronts”
- The Horde burns down Teldrassil
- The Alliance attacks Lordaeron
- … the stage is set for each faction controlling one continent of Azeroth
- The world is at war and we fight for
- land, ressources
- faction’s survival
- finding allies to join our side
- An epic story arc woven into leveling, just as the class order hall campaign we had with Legion
New Continents and Zones
Zandalar and Kul Tiras are new continents for the Horde / the Alliance. Each holds 3 zones, where you level up to 120 divided per faction. Just as in Legion, zone scaling is on board again and once you hit 120, there will be World Quests and Emissaries.
Kul Tiras (Alliance)
An ancient human kingdom ruled by four houses; strong nautical empire. It has three zones: Stormsong Valley, Tiragarde Sound and Drustvar.
Here is the capital of Kul Tiras, main hub for the Alliance within the expansion. It is led by Katherine Proudmoore, Jaina’s mother!
Supplies arms to Kul Tiras but is a cursed land. It is playable at BlizzCon.
Provide ships to Kul Tiras. Dark forces are attacking lately.
This ancient Troll empire has a powerful naval force. It has three main zones: Zuldazar, Nazmir and Vol’dun.
Capital of the Zandalari, hub for the Horde during the expansion. Blood Troll invaders are attacking.
A swampland since Cataclysm, holds titan secrets. Is playable at BlizzCon.
Once a vibrant jungle, now a desert. Criminals exiled here. Home to new NPC races: the Vulpera and the Sethrak.
Battle for Azeroth will feature character stories for Thrall, Sylvanas Windrunner, Anduin Wrynn and Jaina Proudmoore. And we are going to explore the story of Vol’jin!
- 6 Allied Races at launch, more planned
- We have to play through questlines to unlock new factions and races
- they will have new racials
- leveling process will start at level 20
- ofc. you can race change with a paid character service
- Leveling one of the new races all up to max will unlock transmog sets for all type of armor account wide
- Horde will be joined by:
- Highmountain Tauren
- and the Zandalari Trolls
- Alliance will be joined by:
- Void Elves,
- Lightforged Draenai
- and the Dark Iron Dwarves.
Zone Scaling and Leveling Improvements
- This will start with Patch 7.3.5!
- Zone scaling is expanded across all of the old world and even old expansions!
- there are still some level ranges with caps, but much more flexible
- for example: you can level Burning Crusade all the way from 60 to 80
This is the blood of Azeroth and it comes to the surface since the wound in Silithus happened. It takes a cristallized form at the surface.
It sort of replaces Artifact Power and let’s players level up their Heart of Azeroth medallion and gives them advantages in Warfronts.
The Heart of Azeroth: Artifacts 2.0
- Players will receive a legendary Medallion from Magni
- in Battle for Azeroth the Heart of Azeroth is the core mechanic for character progression
- through Azerite it gains power and levels up to modificate items in certain itemslots
- For each item, three different Tiers of upgrades get unlocked
- these upgrades do modify or strengthen your abilities, just like artifact traits did
- the upgrades and tiers are fixed for every item and can be viewed in the dungeon journal. Heroic is better than normal by the numbers, has the same layout
Horde and Alliance are skirmishing over resources, especially Azerite in this 3-player cooperative scenarios. They are role-agnostic, you will be able to queue up at any time. Objectives and settings vary completely and every time.
Whenever you play an expedition you will face different NPCs and objectives, even if you might land on the same island. Three AI-driven champions of the opposing faction will land shortly after you and will create some sort of pressure to finish objectives before them to get the full rewards.
Two of those islands are the Un’Gol Ruins and Havenswood.
Island Expeditions will be available in four different difficulties: Normal, Heroic, Mythic and PvP.
- This content is inspired by the RTS roots of the franchise
- Players will play as groups of 20 against NPC armies, it is a large 20 player PvE scenario
- When you enter a Warfront you Build structures, you gather ressources, take territory and repeat
- New Arenas in Tiragarde and Zuldazar
- A new Battleground: Seething Shore
- Silithus themed
- Comes with 7.3.5
- No more division between PvP and PvE servers. You will be able to toggle that individually
10 new Dungeons at launch. Mythic Keystones will stay with some refinements.
- Freehold: pirate themed
- Atal’Dazar: ancient troll city with undead dinosaurs
- Tol Dagor
- Waycrest Manor
- Shrine of the Storm
- Siege of Boralus
- Temple of Sethraliss
- The Underrot
- Kings’ Rest
Sadly, we did not get a lot of details on raid instances at this point. At least Queen Azshara was confirmed as one of the raid endbosses in BfA!
First raid: Uldir, Hall of Control
- 8 bosses
- an ancient Titan laboratory
- Face off against mad trolls and the source of corruption that threatens Zandalar
- Battle.net Voice Integration into WoW
- Uses party and raid UI
- works across game sessions
- WoW Communities
- communities are character bound
- you can be in multiple communities besides your guild
- cross server
- calendar invites